I rarely ever do these question and answer things , but some of my favorite asthmatics are doing it and it’s for a good cause…. so what the heck.
1. The illness I live with is: asthma
2. I was diagnosed with it : at the age of 2
3. But I had symptoms since: birth in 1954
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: learning to live WITH the disease.
5. Most people assume: because I’m able to walk marathons, that I’m totally healthy
6. The hardest part about mornings are: that they end too soon.
7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don’t watch medical TV shows.
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my Mp3 player.
9. The hardest part about nights are: making it through them.
10. Each day I take 12 pills, 3 inhalers and 6 nebulizer treatments .
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have tried just about everything.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: probably an invisible one.
13. Regarding working and career: I chose something I was very familiar with…..Respiratory Therapy.
14. People would be surprised to know: that I have interests other than asthma.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: I was born with this disease, so it’s always been part of my reality.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: become the first person with severe lung disease ever to finish the Boston marathon.
17. The commercials about my illness: I think this one depicts it the best. ( oops, looks like they pulled the video)
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: taking my breathing for granted.
19. It was really hard to have to give up: Ive never given up anything because of my asthma, Ive always found ways around it.
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Searching for a cure.
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: RUN a marathon and savor every moment of it.
22. My illness has taught me: that I’m a lot stronger than I thought.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: I’m an inspiration
24. But I love it when people: tell me that Ive made a positive impact on their life.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: “life isn’t about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain”
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them:that they’re not alone.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: that I would meet so many interesting and kind people.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: stayed by my side till the crisis was over.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: believe it or not, Ive been guilty myself on occasion of judging people by their outward appearance. Shame on me.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: that you’re interested in my answers.
Find out more about National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week and the 5-day free virtual conference with 20 speakers Sept 14-18, 2009 at invisibleillness.com