Looks like I jumped the gun on this one. After polling my family, friends and doctors, and after reading up on high altitude hiking, Ive decided to heed some good advise for a change and will not be participating in the Mt Evans COPD Challenge hike.

The elevation just makes it too risky for someone with lungs like mine. There’s just too great a chance that I could get really sick. My travel schedule wouldn’t have allowed me enough time to acclimate to the higher elevations of Colorado anyway, so that would have put me at an even greater risk for high altitude complications. I would hate to ruin it for the other participants if something were to happen and I needed to be taken off the mountain for emergency medical care.

To say I’m a little disappointed would be an understatement. I’m the type of person who thrives on mental and physical challenges, so making the decision to withdrawal from this event was tough for me. I was really looking forward to pushing my body to the limits on this one and to see this magnificent mountain range up close and personal. I suppose I’ll just have to get my kicks in a safer , more familiar fashion.

Though maybe not as challenging or as memorable as doing a walk two and a half miles up in the air, later this year I’m planning on doing back to back half marathons ( 4-6 weeks part). I haven’t chosen the exact races yet, but Ive narrowed it down to the San Jose Rock &Roll , the Spirit of Pittsburgh and the Las Vegas half marathons, taking place in October, November and December.
Training for the those races begins for me in less than two weeks.

To the wonderfully wacky people who haven’t chickened out of the Mt Evans Challenge, Good luck up there!

Related Posts:

10 thoughts on “No Mountain climbing for me :-(

  1. Sarah says:

    I think there's a difference between "chickening out" and listening to the advice of your physicians. I don't help my parents take in hay because I have a severe hay allergy that makes my lungs go from green to red in a matter of minutes, if I'm helping take hay in. That doesn't mean I'm "chickening out" from hauling hay, it means I'm being sensible about my health.

    So, I don't think you're "chickening out" by doing a risk/benefit analysis and realizing that the risks outweigh the benefits. You're being sensible. And if you really want to climb a mountain, you might be able to figure out how to work around your lungs' limitations (maybe spending a month or so at altitude to acclimatize or something; I don't know – I'm not a physician or anything).

    Have fun with your half-marathons! I'm trying to plan out a training schedule for one next June, which would be awesome. 🙂

    1. Stephen says:

      Didn’t actually chicken out, I’m crazy enough to do just about anything at least once. The logistics and the expense of getting there were also considerations.
      I just didn’t want to risk ending up sick and ruining the event foe everyone else.

  2. kerri says:

    Aww, I'm sorry to hear about the mountain, rockstar. 🙁

    But I AM very excited to hear about your race picks. Keep us posted!

    1. Stephen says:

      Thanks Ms Lovely, I’m sure I’ll find something else just as challenging to do.

  3. Brittney says:

    Ah, man I can feel your disappointment from here. Hiking up that mountain would have been a great experience, but given the advice you got I think you made the right decisions. And, speaking of decisions, I suggest you do the Des Moines half marathon on October 17th. I'm planning on running the half (if my body will ever start cooperating with me!) and would love to meet you. 🙂


    1. Stephen says:

      Hi Brittney, Thanks for the tip. I’ll check that race out.

  4. I'm sorry that you're not going to be able to do it. It sounded very cool…however, getting sick is NOT cool…so I'm glad that as hard as it is, you're taking the advice of those in the know, to keep yourself as healthy as you can.

    Like you said, you'll just have to find something just as challenging to do.

  5. Amy says:

    How did I miss this plan in the first place? Mount Evans is pretty close to me, actually.
    I'm so sorry you have to miss this, but yeah–I see why. I don't think I could've done Mt. Evans when I first moved here, even w/okay lungs. The kid definitely would've needed time to adjust first.

    Somewhat related to this (but more to your clinic in Denver), I'm emailing you–

    1. Stephen says:

      I was actually going to the Mt Evans climb in liu of the Racewalking clinic, as they’re only a week apart. As it stands now, I wont be able to do either one. Sooner or later I’ll get back to Denver.

  6. Fran says:

    Sorry to hear about the cancelled plans. Maybe another time and not so dangerous a climb.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Anti-Spam by WP-SpamShield